The Next Group Project

The next project in modelling is focusing on Quality over quantity, and we been given the task to each creates a high-quality asset to create a small scene.

Our group theme was Steampunk. I don’t know much about Steampunk bar the fact of its new technology in olden times, at least that what I imagined. to be sure I did some research on the theoretical time.

Steampunk Research

Steampunk was a ‘Scientific and Fantasy’ period that incorporates the aesthetic and design of 19th century Industrial Steam-powered machinery. The idea of Cogs, pipes, steam and goggles were a massive part of the aesthetic of the imagined era. Many artists, songs and even games had their own go at trying out their interpretation of the era, including games like Bioshock, and Dishonoured.

There are a general theme and stereotype around steampunk, but it’s also very much a unique idea to every person, which I preferred because I got to have a bit more leeway when it comes to my designs.

Idea Sketches

I had the task of modelling a Grandfather Clock. My idea straight away was a cog-filled glass middle, with a wood design on the other sides. This idea carried over into most of my designs. One of the designs I added a small furnace, to power the steampunk aspect of the clock. Despite this looking cool, I did not introduce it on my final design. The Final design was a mix between the second and third designs. A wider base, with cogs between the bell, and a curved top.

Clock 4

I incorporated toggles, switches and different wood designs so that I could add different designs and depth in the form of normal maps.

Modelling Proposal

I had to propose exactly what would be on my Low and High poly model to be able to seperate and successfully model them. High to Low Poly Proposal.png

Most of the Model is high poly because it’s the detail on the clock which will be low poly. The detail being grates and perhaps wood engravings. The cogs will be high poly, and the dials and GUI will be textured.

Beginning the Modelling

I started with the base, creating a base and adding edge loops to add shape and creating the foundation for the side walls. The legs were created by extruding the base corners. I had them originally as separate objects but soon realised

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: